Human Resources Specialist
Central Alabama Electric Cooperative (CAEC) has proudly served central Alabama for more than 80 years. At CAEC, our member-owners are our top priority, and we believe that to serve them well, we need to develop an effective, efficient, and diverse workforce. If you have an interest and background in Human Resources and have a desire to assist our internal customer workforce so that they can continue to provide excellent service to our members and communities, consider applying for our Human Resources Specialist position.
CAEC’s Human Resources Specialist provides skilled administrative support in the following functional areas of Human Resources: recruitment, employment and orientation, payroll and benefits administration, file administration and record retention, regulatory compliance, and related activities in accordance with generally accepted Human Resources standards. Responsible for maintaining and processing confidential information and performing highly complex duties with considerable impact within and outside of the department.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the recruitment and hiring process by publishing approved job postings, sorting, filing and tracking candidate resumes and applications, scheduling, coordinating and preparing documents for interviews, administering and/or coordinating pre-employment tests, and assisting with the completion of credit and background investigations and reference checks.
- Provides assistance in the employment and orientation process by preparing, distributing, and assisting in the processing of new hire paperwork. Obtains necessary payroll and benefit authorizations, completes all required documentation (such as I-9, W-4, A-4, etc.). Enrolls new employees in benefit plans and inputs new employee records in the Human Resources databases while ensuring accuracy of all documentation and timely processing of materials.
- Responsible for payroll administration, including processing bi-weekly and special payrolls, responding to payroll inquiries, facilitating resolutions to payroll errors, filing federal and state taxes, preparing, filing and maintaining supporting payroll documentation and back up of payroll reports, such as 941 tax reports and W-2’s. Performs all other routine support work in the preparation, processing, and maintenance of payroll related duties and reporting.
- Ensures the timely implementation of database changes, including but not limited to, salary, insurance coverage, cafeteria deductions and other authorized payroll deductions, thus ensuring payroll accuracy.
- Responds to all federal, state, local, and third party requests regarding payroll inquiries to include employee earning information when applicable.
- Maintains existing payroll files in accordance with state and federal record retention laws.
- Assists in preparing applicable reports and documentation for both the mid-year and year-end audits.
- Performs benefits administration, including claims resolution, change reporting, answering benefits questions, assisting in the processing of life events and open enrollment elections.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate reconciliation and payment of benefit billing statements. Submits any employee policy cancellation notices to ensure accurate billing.
- Assists with recordkeeping related to hiring, termination, leave, transfer, and promotion particularly as related to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), affirmative action, and diversity initiatives.
- Compiles and maintains a variety of employment files and records, including but not limited to, information related to personal data, compensation, benefits, tax and withholding data, current and previous job status, anniversary dates, vacation and sick leave, attendance, new hire information, changes in employment status, credentials related to degrees or certifications held, and participation in training and development programs in conformance with applicable laws.
- Plans and implements recordkeeping processes for permanent personnel records.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date accident records and complies with annual reporting requirements.
- Assists in the preparation of policies, procedures, documents, affirmative action plans, organizational charts, and reports including EEO-1, reports for the Department of Labor, and reports for other federal and state agencies as to remain in compliance.
- Communicates with employees, departments, applicants and the public for the purpose of providing information and assistance concerning employment, procedures, personnel records and related legal requirements.
- Handles routine human resources inquiries, including but not limited to verifications of employment, processes and responds to employee queries in a timely manner and refers complex matters to appropriate management staff.
- Conducts surveys, interviews, and other human resources related research; collects information and reports results to the Manager of Human Resources.
- Performs additional tasks and projects as assigned by the Manager of Human Resources.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Human Resources, or other related field with a minimum of one year of progressively responsible experience in human resources related position required.
- Must maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Must have knowledge of federal, state, and local laws as they relate to employment practices, labor relations, payroll practices, FMLA regulations, COBRA regulations, trends in personnel administration, and benefit administration or exhibit an aptitude, willingness, and eagerness to gain knowledge in these areas.
- Ability to interact well with internal and external customers, handling inquiries and solving problems. Conveys professional interaction at all times, thereby maintaining positive relations. Displays and encourages team effort for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to maintain positive working relationship with industry affiliations, local, state, and federal associations, other cooperatives, vendors and consultants, including civic organizations.
- Ability to organize, prioritize tasks and complete all assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Must possess or have the ability to gain a working knowledge of software applications pertinent to the Cooperative’s system and/or Microsoft programs.
- Maintains thorough working knowledge of Cooperative Bylaws, policies, procedures, and safety manual.
- Attends periodic seminars, training programs, conferences, civic and professional events.
- This position requires the availability of the employee during bad weather and other unusual conditions for all times of any day and night to assist in restoration of service during system outages and emergencies.
- Should possess or have the ability to gain a thorough knowledge of first aid applications, CPR, and rescue procedures.
- Must hold a valid Alabama driver’s license at the level necessary to operate vehicles in the performance of position responsibilities, up to and including a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Frequently operates standard office machines requiring touch and vision for close work. Normal activities require sitting and standing. Work environment is predominantly indoor in normal office conditions with the exception of assisting during Annual Meeting and assigned training tasks. Frequently, the person must lift up to 10 pounds.
CAEC offers an excellent salary and benefits package. Anyone with interest in the advertised position should submit their cover letter and resume to:
Central Alabama Electric Cooperative
Human Resources Specialist Position
103 Jesse Samuel Hunt Blvd
Prattville, AL 36066
Resumes or applications must be postmarked no later than 04/03/2020.
CAEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.