Central Alabama Electric Cooperative (CAEC) is committed to safely and effectively delivering the highest quality of products and services to the members we serve. We are currently seeking a dedicated and self-directed individual with a passion for education, training, and above all, safety to join our team as Manager of Training and Safety. CAEC’s Manager of Training and Safety develops, coordinates and implements effective employee training programs and promotes, through development and maintenance, an effective corporate safety program, which focuses on safety rules, regulations, and practice adherence. Additionally, this position ensures corporate compliance with federal and state regulatory agencies, including the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Department of Transportation (DOT), to include the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates with the executive leadership team and assists the Director of Organizational Development with long-range employee development program goals and objectives.
- Understands and incorporates adult learning applications into training programs.
- Works closely with the executive leadership team to identify and develop training programs that meet specific division needs.
- Works closely with the Director of Organizational Development, division VPs, managers and supervisors to align individual employee training needs with department/division skill development needs.
- Organizes and conducts appropriate training programs and plans and coordinates presenters for ongoing employee training and development.
- Plans and coordinates others means of employee training and development, i.e., web-based training to meet annual requirements.
- Maintains records of employee training meetings, including those that must occur annually.
- Performs inspections and observes work habits of employees for conformance to state and federal regulations, Cooperative policies and procedures, and RESAP standards. Is responsible for coordinating activities related to CAEC’s safety committee, to include similar inspections and observations effectively conducted by safety committee members and others.
- Schedules dielectric and structural tests for various types of equipment and PPE, including bucket and digger trucks, hot sticks, gloves, sleeves and grounds.
- Maintains an effective environmental compliance program that meets the goals and criteria of the Cooperative’s policies and regulatory standards.
- Responsible for processing, maintaining, and auditing driver files in accordance with FMCSA regulations.
- As the primary contact following accidents and/or incidents, proactively responds to initial notification of such events and conducts the necessary accident investigative steps involving employee-related accidents/incidents, workers’ compensation accidents, and public contact accidents as soon as practicable. Contacts the appropriate Cooperative officials and/or insurance companies. Files all related paperwork in a timely manner.
- Assists with investigations of property damage claims against CAEC, files all appropriate paperwork and maintains the case file until conclusion.
- Coordinates all preparation steps, including employee review of safety policies and procedures for employee orientation and RESAP.
- Participates in other cooperatives’ RESAP processes as scheduled by AREA.
- As a singular contributor with specific responsibilities to the Cooperative workforce, this employee will designate another primary contact when he/she will be unavailable and will communicate to all appropriate individuals who the designee will be in a timely manner.
- Manages and participates in the development and administration of the training and safety budget; directs the forecast of funds needed for equipment, materials and supplies; directs and implements adjustments as necessary.
- Prepares regular progress reports for presentation to the staff and board of CAEC.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent professional certification(s) required. A four-year degree related to safety training and/or seven years’ experience in line construction and maintenance is preferred. Having experience and/or interest in Instructional System Design and Adult Learning Principles is also preferred.
- Must enroll in CLCP certification training within one year of assuming the role of Manager of Training and Safety and complete the training within the expected three-year training time. Once obtained, maintenance of this certification is required.
- Must possess knowledge of all applicable state and federal laws relating to Worker’s Compensation and Safety standards.
- Must possess knowledge of DOT (including FMCSA), ADEM, EPA, OSHA, ANSI, and other state or federal regulatory agency standards.
- Proven basic trainer/facilitator skills and the ability to create training curriculum, conduct training sessions or help prepare other presenters, and instruct safety classes.
- Ability to interact well with internal and external customers, handling inquiries and working individually or in a team environment to resolve problems. Conveys professional interaction at all times, thereby maintaining positive relations. Displays leadership and encourages team effort for maximum efficiency and productivity.
- Ability to perform site and field inspections inside the regular office environment, at all Cooperative facilities, and outside on job sites.
- Ability to maintain a positive working relationship with industry affiliations, local, state, and federal associations, other cooperatives, vendors and consultants, including civic organizations.
- Ability to organize, prioritize tasks and complete all assignments accurately and with attention to detail. Must maintain confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Must possess or have the ability to gain a working knowledge of software applications pertinent to the Cooperative’s system and/or Microsoft programs.
- Should have a thorough knowledge of first aid applications, CPR, and rescue procedures.
- Must maintain thorough working knowledge of Cooperative Bylaws, policies, procedures, and safety manual.
- Must be able to attend periodic seminars, training programs, conferences, civic and professional events.
- This position requires the availability of the employee during bad weather and other unusual conditions for all times of any day and night to assist in restoration of service during system outages and emergencies.
- Must hold a valid Alabama driver’s license at the level necessary to operate vehicles in the performance of position responsibilities, up to and including a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Frequently operates standard office machines requiring touch and vision; operates motor vehicles. Normal activities include sitting, standing, walking, with access to awkward positions necessary. Climbing on ladders and eye hand coordination is necessary. Normal work environment is 50% indoor and 50% outdoors. Frequently lifts materials weighing up to 10 pounds, yet occasionally lifts materials up to 50 pounds. Occasional climbing on ladders to a height of 20 feet is required. Equipment carried while climbing added to the weight of the employee shall not exceed weight limitations set forth by ladder manufacturer. Occasional pole climbing may be necessary.
CAEC offers an excellent salary and benefits package.
Central Alabama Electric Cooperative
Manager of Training and Safety Position
103 Jesse Samuel Hunt Blvd
Prattville, AL 36066
Resumes or applications must be postmarked no later than 10/02/2020.
CAEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace.