When it comes to hogs, channeling your inner Groundhog can help you beat Energy Hogs from increasing your power bills.
- Predictable Power Down: Mimic the Groundhog’s shadow prediction by setting a daily reminder to power down electronics and appliances when not in use. Make it a routine to unplug chargers, turn off lights, and switch off devices and stop the energy buffet for Energy Hogs.
- Hibernate Your Devices: Encourage a daily hibernation ritual for your electronic devices. Set them to sleep or power-saving mode when not in use, just like a groundhog retreats to its burrow for a cozy nap.
- Sunlight Predictions: Coordinate your activities with the sun’s movement. Open curtains and blinds during the day to allow natural light in. Use shadows strategically to minimize the need for artificial lighting, especially during the daytime.
- Groundhog’s Natural Thermostat: Follow the Groundhog’s lead when it comes to predicting the weather. Adjust your thermostat accordingly; if it’s a “shadow day” (colder), layer up and lower the thermostat, and if it’s a “no shadow day” (warmer), embrace natural warmth and keep the thermostat a bit higher.
- Seal the Burrow Gaps Just as Groundhogs secure their burrows, ensure your home is well-insulated from Energy Hogs. Seal any drafts around windows and doors to prevent heat loss and maintain a cozy, energy-efficient living space.
- Hibernate the Water Heater: Lower the temperature on your water heater or consider investing in a timer. Groundhogs are experts at conserving energy during hibernation; you can do the same by optimizing water heating schedules.
- Outwit the Energy Hog: Energy Audits: Have one of our trained Energy and Technology Consultants help you identify where the energy hog lurks with an energy audit. Outwit it by making targeted improvements based on the audit recommendations.
Remember, the key is to make these energy-efficient habits a part of your daily routine, creating a sustainable loop just like the famous day that repeats itself!