We all want our homes to be merry and bright with the holidays right around the corner, but are you doing everything you can to be safe when putting up your lights? When decorating your home for the holiday season, take a look at the following safety tips:
- Consider purchasing LED holiday lights; they are cool to the touch and more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs.
- Test holiday lights by connecting each strand before hanging them.
- Make sure there are no broken bulbs or damaged or grayed cords. Discard any defective strands.
- Use holiday lights that include the Underwriter’s Laboratories (UL) label.
- Avoid resting bulbs on tree needles and branches. Try using a clip to keep the bulbs upright.
- Do not overload electrical outlets or extension cords.
- Turn off all indoor and outdoor holiday lighting before leaving the house or going to bed.